Sunday, March 22, 2009

Savor the Flavor

For New Year's Eve 2009 I savored a scrumptious dinner at my favorite restaurant, Honey. Every time I dine there, the rich flavors of each dish merge together to create a lively party in my mouth. And I am reminded that I want to learn more about spices...

I remember back in my first days living in my first apartment away from home, reading a recipe that called for 1/4 tsp. of dill weed. I was pinching pennies to the max, so I just couldn't rationalize spending 5 bucks for a large jar of spice I might never use again. I brainstormed possible substitutions, but my eventual solution was to creep into my parents' kitchen with a zip lock baggie and capture a dash of dill from my mother's plastic tupperware spice organizer (I think that's as close as I ever came to stealing). But now I am a real grown up, and I have my very own lovely spice collection made of irregular shaped glass bottles and metal tins, alphabetically lined up on a miniature lazy susan in my cupboard.

Piled up next to this swirling spiceland are boxes and boxes of herbal tea. My most recent addition to my tea collection is Numi's Organic White Rose. I first experienced this tea at Honey: before, during, and after that flavorful New Year's Eve meal. I think our server might have tired from bringing me refills on hot water over and over again, but I just couldn't stop myself from drinking more and more. I relished the delicate floral scent, the blushing of the water as it turned slightly pink while steeping, and the genuine taste of love. I was so inspired by this particular flavor that I searched high and low at various grocery stores and gourmet shops to find it. But after much exploration with no success, I let the "buy local" ideal go, and I was prepared to order it online and pay exorbitant shipping costs. It was just then that I discovered the tea as I was casually browsing the grocery section at our brand new super-sized Target, of all places! I couldn't stop smiling as I went through the check out line. The law of attraction came through for me- again!


I also adore lavender-flavored delicacies...lavender lemonade and lavender ice cream are amongst my favorites! Perhaps because lavender has a natural calming effect? Or perhaps because it's so different...


How can you savor the flavor of life?

Choose yummy love,
Grace

3 comments:

  1. I'll tell you how I'm going to savor the flavor of life - at Graeter's on Thursday! Woot woot! Awww yeah baby - Graeter's here I come! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a nice post. I adore tea, too.

    I might spend my Crate & Barrel gift card on a new spice rack!

    I Tweeted about your blog so others can see what a fabulous person you are!

    Jennifer Mitchell
    Superb by Design
    www.superbbydesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. For those of you that aren't local to Cincinnati, Graeter's is our delightful ice cream shop, and my sister Karen and I have decided it's the best ice cream we've ever tasted (and we are quite the ice cream connoisseurs!)! We had ice cream sundae parties for Karen's bridal AND baby showers!

    Another once of my favorite tea brands is The Republic of Tea! And thanks for spreading the front porch love on Tweeter, Mitchell!

    ReplyDelete